Thursday, December 20, 2012

Game Design Theory: Using Video Games To Engage Learnering

Believe it or not!!!

There are some noble educators out there pitching this crazy, absurd, revolutionary, awesome concept. And it is: If kids are playing games on their phones in class instead of learning, at home on their pc or console instead of doing homework; then why not have them doing both?

I mean, why not have them playing a game you made to explain the day's concept? Why not have them playing a game on their computer that they made, using an instruction set you gave them?

I'm not pitching for computer science/programming here. I'm a computer and network engineering teacher. I teach hardware and operating systems. What I'm throwing out there is I gave my students an assignment today which blew their minds. I showed them a game to play which teaches them how to use a software to design/build video games of their own. I then challenged them to explain the concept of data transfer using this game as their medium. And you know what? They did it!! It blew their minds to be able to play games in class without retribution and then to be told it's a learning tool for them to use to make their own games!!!

I'll post the overall results later.

No comments:

Post a Comment